Monday, February 9, 2015

What have I been up to you ask?

Oh a little of this and a little of that. I have recently completed a residency at Pilchuck Glass School. It was a wonderful time spent on the Pilchuck campus during the North American Autumn. There was only the full time staff as well as the other residents: Sarah BrilandYuka OtaniDavid KingAnne Petters, and Irena Czepcova. I made, I laughed, I ate. Oh boy did I eat. Yessh.

It was highly productive period. Some of this work will be forwarded to a show in Auckland, New Zealand, a piece will be hung at the U.S. Embassy in Canberra, Australia, and a few works have been commissioned. Unfortunately a few pieces and components (important ones ugh) were damaged by TSA during transit. But that is a whole other post.....

Here a few works in progress....




Broken then fused seperatley. Much of the new work looks for patterns within the breaks and finds continuity between panels. This stems from an observation I made in grad school. I was looking out my  fourth floor studio and noticed how independently poured slabs of concrete were linked by a single crack. 



Experiments in creating sculptural works. Using no silvering. Just light. 


A kiln full of broken panels with cover sheets. 


Fused, sawed, sandblasted, then "fire polished"


I have also started silvering the panels myself. 


Crates! A perk of using Bullseye sheet glass is that it comes with high quality foam. So easy to pack out a crate. 


These are probably my favorite new works/experiments. Black on black. Very simple. Very clean. 


Big ginger! I have also started to drop the glass into the kiln. Not arranging anything and leaving the break more to chance. A less heavy handed approach. 


Large white panel. 


And then my little helper. Irena :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment